Saturday, August 8, 2015

It has been a long, short week.  Temperatures are down, which is nice.  Still, it is a physical struggle early in the day when it reaches and passes well into the 80’s.  I then try and do things that do not involve working in the heat.
Not much going on today.  Yesterday we enjoyed a dinner of Ken’s home grown pork chops and Carla’s garden vegetables.  She didn’t plant hot peppers, but somehow one has creeped into her garden – it was quite unexpected when bitten into and milk became the beverage of the day.
Mathew 5:44  But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
Of all the duties and obligations and commands for a Christian this has got to be one of the more difficult verses to obey.
When you are wracked with physical pain and mental anguish because someone is attacking you and undermining you, your family, your ability to function at your job, your spirituality it is difficult to pray for them.
I know, I have been there.
I want to lash out, to take them on – Not to be like minded, but to confront them with the truth and make them defend their lies – and yes, I do have to admit, at times, to beat them to a pulp. 
That is, when I know they are doing it, however, I have learned there are many that will not come out of the shadows, they will hammer you from the darkness of anonymity spreading lies and hatred when you have no idea it is coming. 
It has to be so much worse for those that are tortured, whose livelihood has been compromised, whose freedom has been taken away from them.  When threats are made against not only them, but their families if they do not recant their faith in Christ; watching the fear in their family as they don’t know what is going to happen to them if you continue – and neither do you.  It cannot be easy to pray for their tormentors, yet many are doing that even today in some of the most horrendous of times for Christians in those nations that abhor Christ.
I have a friend who is a manager in a company.  He recently was asked to move his operations into a new building.  There was much to do and his time commitment was astronomical.  Though separated from his bosses, he soon found that many were attacking him.  He was committed to completing the mission, but was doing so at a tremendous risk to his health.
While this was happening, I had an occasion to briefly talk to him.  He did not disclose his unwarranted battle with some of his superiors, but I could tell his health was at risk.  I attributed it to his longer hours establishing the business – that was part of it.
Periodically I would send him an e-mail letting him know I was thinking and praying about him.  This morning I received an e-mail from him which included the following:
“I wanted to thank you for your generous notes and kind words. Thanks, too, for your prayers, which I am truly grateful for. I need them. So much going on, and I'd say, heading in the right direction. My faith is the only thing that has kept me going these last 7 years. Some day I may actually share with you the trials I've experienced at the hands of my employers. I almost died. Literally. I survived by praying for them, each, individually - over time.”
He is no longer under the fist of some of these individuals. 
But as I read his e-mail this morning a couple of truths came to me in light of Jesus’ command to “Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
Our response to people should not be based on what they do to or for us, but on what Christ has told us.  Praying for their souls, praying for them to understand what they are doing to you and others, praying for them to change.
Some will be changed, I have heard many stories where those that have been persecuted were able to demonstrate this command to their oppressors – and the tyrants repented and many accepted Christ. 
WE WILL be changed.  Our hearts will be closer to God.  He understands our predicament and He will send His Holy Spirit to help us through.  That is why so many Christians are able to be at peace during and after having endured horrendous treatment at the hands of their enemies, sometimes for years.
Others, who may not be involved in the torment, may see Christ in us and thus seek Him out, finding Him they understand the strength He provides.
While we should not pray for vengeance on the oppressor, God has made it clear that without repentance they will eventually suffer for their sins, and in their failure to repent there will be greater suffering on their part for their treatment of us:
Romans 12:19-21  Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.
20 Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head.
21 Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.

Being a Christian is not for the faint hearted.  It is hard work when we strive to live as He has instructed.  But, while the results are eternal life and recognition in heaven, the goal should be to show Christ so others will come to Him for Salvation.
It is easier said than done, but in the doing God does miraculous things in the hearts of those we touch and the spirit within us is uplifted, rejoicing and joyful in the presence of God.
If I may also suggest, we need to let people know we care for them – I had no idea of the struggles my friend was going through, but it helped him knowing that someone was concerned and praying for him.
Late, Art :-)
From the ColumbiaRiverGorgeous
May Our Good Lord Bless and Keep YOU....’til we meet again

No comments:

Post a Comment