Tuesday, August 4, 2015

First, my apologies to Wendy – it was their 19th anniversary.  I talked with Ken, he was preparing a special meal to honor the occasion.  Seems like a century ago those two were married.
We did a barbecue for the Father’s practice night dinner, we lived next to the Nazarene church and they were kind enough to let us use their kitchen and rooms.  Gil Hayes helped prepare the meal – can’t remember all we served, but I would imagine in included barbecued steaks and the Wasco County Sheriff’s Posse secret baked bean recipe.
The next morning Wendy asked me to sing the Lord’s Prayer.  I hadn’t sang it in a long time.  Vicki, my oldest, and I used to sing a duet, she would sing the modern version, and I would echo the verses in the original style:
Hers: Our Father, which are in heaven hallowed be thy name –
Then,
Mine: Our – F a t h e r --- which art in h e a v e n, hal-lowed be t h y – n a m e
You get the picture, we did the whole song, acapella, that way, me echoing her phrases – turned out rather well if I do say so myself.
But it had been a while since I had sung it – the pianist grabbed me and we went downstairs to practice a couple times, she then said I would be fine – not sure I was, but I appreciated Wendy asking.
It was all topped off at the end, though.  As Pastor Jepson turned the couple around and announced them man and wife, her Dad stood up with a double barreled shotgun – just wanted to make sure!
The Alone participant, Alan, I said reminded Carla and I of Norman – and he agreed.  Norm said he had gone on-line and did their little personality test of 10 questions.  At the finish they would tell you which of the ten you most closely resembled psychologically – his was Alan.
I did it for me and came up with one of the other men.  So just for fun I had Carla answer the questions – she most resembled, drum roll – ALAN.  Like brother like sister I guess.
Mathew 10:34  Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
The sword He was referring to was not of metal, but it was the Word of God. 
He used the Word as the grounds for everything He taught.  He tried to send those that would question Him, back to the Scriptures where He told them they would find Him.
He used the Word not just as a defensive weapon, but a weapon to use offensively to counter and attack those that would try and defeat Him.
He was not defensive in His teachings; they were direct attacks using the Word on the very core elements of what the leaders of the Jews were teaching. 
He was under attack, but did not waiver and used the Word to deflect the offense and to drive home who God is, Who Jesus is, and to protect those that believed in Him.
We can learn by His example.  But just as important we can use the same Sword He used and the additional weight of the New Testament as we proclaim His truths against those that would defeat us.
Hebrews 4:12  For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
In the full armor of God, God gives us protective devices, save one – the Sword and we can use that to attack our adversaries.
There will be those that will declare His Word null and void, but what they say and do against the Word does not change the temper of the Sword, it does not change God’s Word, or God’s mind and intent.
Hebrews 6:17  And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
The physical sword can be used many ways to fend off attacks and to promote attacks by its wielder.  We can use it as a blunt instrument with strong powerful overhead and arching blows, or we can thrust and parry going about our attack with a lighter touch, but one that can be just as deadly.
The same is true of the Word of God, and when we have Christ in our heart and the Holy Spirit to lead us, even the subtlest of blows will eventually hit its mark – and hopefully lead others to the Cross of Jesus.
Jesus showed us how to use His Sword, the writers of the New Testament affirmed its use in leading others to Him.  It is an effective tool that will never go out of date and can pierce even the hardest of hearts. 
Like any weapon, it has to be honed, it has to be practiced with and the holder must be able to effectively use it.  We have the Word of God, we have the ability to read and understand its use in bringing others to God, we just need the practice of using it.
Later, Art :-)
From the ColumbiaRiverGorgeous
May Our Good Lord Bless and Keep YOU....’til we meet again

No comments:

Post a Comment