Friday, August 7, 2015

I went outside yesterday and even though it was about 85 degrees there was a crispness in the air that usually comes in the fall,  middle to later September.  I mentioned it to Carla who also noticed it and was going to say something.
This has been a different than normal year, the garden is sustaining our needs, not sure, though whether or not we will be able to can and freeze much.  For the first time we are struggling with some pests and some blight on the vegetables.
Still we are thankful for the produce and are enjoying all the garden has given us thus far.
Blaze is actually acting more like a dog, kinda.  He is starting to play a bit with Ozzie, a new activity for him.  He found a bone that I had given Teresa’s Wanda a couple weeks ago and brought it into the house to gnaw on.  We give him beef bones to chew on outside, but he loses interest rather quickly – so I take it as a good sign he brought one in from outside – although it would have been better not to have placed it on the rug.
Psalm 73:3-9 For I was envious at the foolish, when I saw the prosperity of the wicked.
4 For there are no bands in their death: but their strength is firm.
5 They are not in trouble as other men; neither are they plagued like other men.
6 Therefore pride compasseth them about as a chain; violence covereth them as a garment.
7 Their eyes stand out with fatness: they have more than heart could wish.
8 They are corrupt, and speak wickedly concerning oppression: they speak loftily.
9 They set their mouth against the heavens, and their tongue walketh through the earth.

Actually it is best to read the whole chapter; for me it was a good reminder that everything is not as it seems.  But these verses, in particular, stood out for me.
It is easy for us to become envious of those that have what seems to be a great life.  They have money, they have possessions, they pretty much do what they want and many despise those that do not have these things.
They look at us as worthless, only to be used to further their gain.  They rule the countries, the have power over the government even when they are not part of it.  They speak and people give them voice, it is like they are gods and the rest of us are their stepping stones.
We look at their treasures and ask God, “why?”  Why do people of this nature, people who despise you, people who use their wealth and power to tear you, your Word, Jesus and the rest of us down and stomp upon us as they would a bug?
Verse 12-14 Behold, these are the ungodly, who prosper in the world; they increase in riches.
13 Verily I have cleansed my heart in vain, and washed my hands in innocency.
14 For all the day long have I been plagued, and chastened every morning.

So many Christians are going without food and yet these have wealth unimaginable to those of us who do not have it.  Why are they rewarded?
Why, does God allow them to prosper when so many of His children in Christ suffer?
Our heart cries out for justice; it doesn’t seem to come.  You would think it would be the other way around; those whose life is hidden in Christ would be the prosperous ones and those that deny Him would be punished and forced into servitude of the Christian.
Verse 16-26 When I thought to know this, it was too painful for me;
17 Until I went into the sanctuary of God; then understood I their end.
18 Surely thou didst set them in slippery places: thou castedst them down into destruction.
19 How are they brought into desolation, as in a moment! they are utterly consumed with terrors.
20 As a dream when one awaketh; so, O Lord, when thou awakest, thou shalt despise their image.
21 Thus my heart was grieved, and I was pricked in my reins.
22 So foolish was I, and ignorant: I was as a beast before thee.
23 Nevertheless I am continually with thee: thou hast holden me by my right hand.
24 Thou shalt guide me with thy counsel, and afterward receive me to glory.
25 Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee.
26 My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever.

We are in this world.  We look about us and see such disparity of wealth.  And we ask God, Why?  There are those that would take from the wealthy and disperse it to those in need – but without encouragement and direction for those people it is ineffective.  Given “free” (actually taken by some from others) items without earning it can be a detriment to the self-worth of a person.
These people feel they are entitled that they should receive without paying any price whether labor or money.  AND there are those that can rightly say that, they need the support because they cannot provide for themselves due to inability – not unwillingness. 
Our heart can become greedy and we resent the wealthy for what they have.  We don’t differentiate between those that have been blessed of God and those that have attained their wealth abusing and using people and using illegal means.
Instead of focusing on Christ we focus on others.  Instead of being servants of God we become slaves of worldly possessions.  Instead of allowing God to provide for us we demand that others provide for us.  We become saturated with envy, anger and hatred towards those that have more physical wealth or power than we do.
It is hard not be look at these people and ask God ‘why?’  We have strived to serve Him, yet we receive little or nothing for our efforts; while they do nothing for God and receive affluence.  However, we could find ourselves falling away from God because we are too concentrated and concerned about the status of others, if we are not careful.
God knows this and the writer reminds himself AND us:
“My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever.

God knows us and He wants to sanctify us.  He wants to purify our hearts and minds and get them focused on Him.  We must learn to rely on Him for the fulfillment of all our needs – with the first priority being our spiritual well-being. 
Later, Art :-)
From the ColumbiaRiverGorgeous
May Our Good Lord Bless and Keep YOU....’til we meet again

No comments:

Post a Comment