Friday, July 15, 2016

I was watching a short clip the other day of a man talking about the recent deaths of two black men by police officers and he also mentioned the attacks on the police officers in Dallas, he then condemned all violence – and how it has to stop.
He then said, police officers have to stop the mentality of ‘shoot to kill.’  It was obvious he was distressed and sincere on wanting to see violence curbed. 
But it was just as obvious that he didn’t know anything about the training officers go through and why ‘shoot to kill’ is not a term, but ‘shoot to stop the threat’ is what needs to be done.
Yes, there was a time when that phrase was used.  It was used because when an officer pulls his gun he needs to fully understand that if he pulls the trigger someone could die.
He/She is trained to shoot for the body mass because that is what is most likely going to be needed to stop the person from using or continuing to use deadly force.  People who think that the officer should shoot for arms or legs or shoot the gun out of the suspect hands is what should be done have watched too many movies.  The reality is quite different.
Any time an officer pulls a gun the adrenaline starts flowing – the officer knows that there is danger and the weapon in hand may be the only answer to it.  Often the display of the gun is sufficient to get people’s attention, but it if is not and the trigger must be pulled it is because the threat of violence from the suspect is imminent.
If it is that serious then a shot to the body mass gives the officer the best chance to stop the threat and protect innocent lives.
But it is more than just use of a gun.  People do not know what an officer does.  They may have ideas but until they have been in a squad car, on a busy night in a busy and crime ridden area they have no real life experiences to base their ideas on.
I hear and read over and over again that the officers need to put themselves in the place of people of color; that they have no idea what it is like to be a black person stopped by an officer.
I do understand that perception, however, the leaders of these movements, leaders in the communities, especially those that have high profiles, need to ride a few nights with officers to see, from the officer’s standpoint, what is going on in their cities.  They may think they know, but officers see things that most citizens don’t and have no idea what is happening in their communities.
Almost every department has some kind of ride along policy and it would be very easy for these people to get that first-hand experience. 
It also wouldn’t hurt for them to go through the shoot, don’t shoot scenarios that officers must go through.  They would see how the officer often times only has split seconds to make a decision and if it is the wrong one they could be killed.
The media and many organizations are focused on what the police are doing wrong – but have no idea what it is like to stop a car load of people (no matter the color) at night in a high crime scene area.  Until they understand what the officer goes through in those and other situations they are not being part of the solution, they are part of the problem.
In all this rhetoric I see where the police are being blamed for everything, but I don’t see where parents and society in general are taking any responsibility for the criminals that are creating havoc in the street and forcing the officers to use deadly force.
Before our ‘leaders’ talk about how we must pull together, how we must look at all officers as the bad guy – they should spend a few nights working family violence cases, fights, responding to calls for help, stopping cars on dark streets in dangerous neighborhoods among the many type calls and activities officers handle on a regular basis.
Until they do, they have no business telling police officers they are too irresponsible and poorly trained. 
Psalm 16:1 Preserve me, O God: for in thee do I put my trust.
Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
Mathew 17:19-21 Then came the disciples to Jesus apart, and said, Why could not we cast him out?
20 And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
21 Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting.

Why do we pray?
I would say, because we are asking God to do something, either for us or someone else. 
But are we expecting God to do something, or are we just going through the motions without any real anticipation of an answer?
Do we have faith that God will act upon our request, or, again, do we do it out of tradition, because we are expected to pray – but, we don’t really think it will be answered or do any good?
When I was a boy, no, from my parents meant, NO.  I learned quickly that getting a no from one of them and then going to the other to get what I wanted could lead to a good spanking.
No, meant no.  I grew up with that.  That is the way we raised our children, whining or asking, repeatedly only made my resolve firmer.  I know I wasn’t always right and sometimes we reversed the decision after thinking about it or talking it over with Carla – who, by the way also said no, meant no.
But I often find myself in that same mindset when I go to God in prayer, asking for His intervention, or assistance in one thing or another.  I figure that if I ask and don’t see His hand, then it is enough, I will not keep ‘bugging’ Him for an answer.
But I also realize that is not always how He works.  If I am asking out of obligation, rather than sincere desire for His guidance and help, then am I really praying, in faith?
Is it laziness that I don’t continue in prayer for certain things? 
Do I not have the true belief that God will answer my prayer in an affirmative manner (at least what I deem is good?)
O God: for in thee do I put my trust.
Do I believe that I can truly trust in God, or am I just going through the gestures because that is what we are ‘supposed to do?
God has many conditions He puts on His response to prayer, they aren’t difficult, but we often let ourselves down because we do not follow them.
Are we asking from a heart that is truly obedient to Him?  Are we asking for something that falls within the framework of what is acceptable to Him?  Are we asking in faith, believing that He has the ability to answer our prayers – and that He will?
There are several others, of course, but they all come down to us having trust in God and that He responds in an appropriate manner no matter how he responds.
But while I don’t believe in ‘bugging’ the Lord, I also understand that sometimes there is a need for more than one time praying - goeth not out but by prayer and fasting.
Jesus is clearly saying not only is it okay to ask God to intervene, heal, perform a miracle, or the many other things that we ask for, sometimes we must ask more than once, sometimes we must not only pray but fast.
Jesus spent hours in prayer, He believed in them and He had faith in God to do what must be done.  His prayers were conversations with God, where not only did He say what He wanted to say, but He listened to what God said to Him and we should follow His example.
I need to truly believe in God, trust in Him, and have faith in Him.  Far too often I have asked God to help me, and then went off, immediately and did what I thought was best.
There are times that we have but a moment to pray and ask for His help, but most of the time we have minutes, hours, days, weeks or longer to listen to Him and to have faith that He will guide us in what we need to do, that He will indeed let us know His answer.
Later, Art :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment