Tuesday, December 6, 2016

The Dalles, it snowed, had a skiff on the ground that soon melted off.
Mt Hood, it snowed, 18 inches in the last 24 hours.
Mt. Bachelor, it snowed, 11 inches in the last 24 hours.
Crater Lake, it snowed, 2 inches in the last 24 hours.
Snowing, is a relative term.
Having said that, I am sure glad we got the snow tires on the Toyota yesterday!  We are forecast to have a bit more weather.
Luke 18:10-14 Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.
11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.
12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.
13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.  KJV

Relativity is what is all about, or so we think.
If the temperature outside is 60 degrees and you ask an Alaskan how warm is it, he is likely to respond that it is warm – T-shirt weather.  However, if you ask someone living near the equator, they are more likely to respond, it is chilly, best take a sweater or light jacket.
This morning I see snow on Cherry Heights and we actually had a few flakes down here – however, we would just call it a dusting and not think of it as really snowing, even though it ‘was’ snowing, no big thing – however, again, go to the equator, and people will be awed by the fact it is snowing.
Both situations are relative; to one it is cold while the other it is very warm; or to one it is but a bit of snow while another might think they are getting a blizzard.
It is all relative.
And, unfortunately that is the way too many people think of God and spirituality.
Like the Pharisee, some people want to compare their ‘spirituality’ with the next person.
I do this, I did that, look what I gave, compared to what this person did, therefore I am more holy, I am more spiritual.
Since I am ‘as good or better than him’ I should receive special dispensation from God.  Since I am better He will take me into heaven.
As Christians we know that isn’t true, we cannot ‘better’ ourselves into heaven.
However,
Even some Christians fall into that trap.  We look around us and see others that are not doing as much, or seem to fade away when someone mentions serving Christ.
We think we are better than other Christians because of whatever WE value what a Christian is supposed to do and say and act.
There are people on this earth that we can say, emulate that person, they are living a life for Christ and their every movement and saying proclaims it.
Paul told that to the early Christians, do what I do.
However, comparing ourselves to another – and usually when we do that it isn’t to the holiest Christian we know, it is too someone who is struggling – and saying, look at me I am better than, or at least as good as that person.
We compare, we think in relative terms, but that isn’t the way God thinks.  God looks at it as foolishness.
The Pharisee was promoting self over a man who appear not worthy of his dedication – look at all I do Lord, and by the way, I am thankful that I am not such a sorry sight as that publican over there.  Look at him, rag torn and not even looking up at you, what a sorry sight.
 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.
When we deal with God it is not relativity, it is do as He says, no matter where you are, no matter what the circumstances are, no matter how physically, mentally or emotionally trying it might be – there is nothing in the Word of God that says everything is relative and you should do as circumstances dictate, not what God dictates.
With God it is black and white.  Either you obey Him or you do not.  He knows the circumstances we are in, but that is not an excuse for denying or disobeying Him.
Acts 5:28-29 Saying, Did not we straitly command you that ye should not teach in this name? and, behold, ye have filled Jerusalem with your doctrine, and intend to bring this man's blood upon us.
29 Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.

Each Christian has a ministry.  For some it is going to other countries and preaching the gospels, for others it is working and supporting with finances and prayers those people.  For some it is to go into the ministry full-time, for others it is teaching Sunday School, or working around the church or witnessing to neighbors.
We are fulfilling God’s desires in our life when we obey and use the ministry He has given us.
He uses us.  He uses our life experiences.  He uses what we did before we accepted Him.  He uses our devotion to Him.  He knows our abilities, He knows our frailties, He knows our heart and He can work miracles through us as we follow His Holy Spirit’s leading.
Mathew 15:8-9 This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.
9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

Let us make sure that our heart is filled with His Holy Spirit and we are drawn closer and closer to Him each day.
It isn’t a contest, it isn’t a comparison, it isn’t relative, it is a relationship with God to whom we give all of our heart.
Later, Art (-:

No comments:

Post a Comment