Wednesday, November 30, 2016

I have volunteered and then asked to give a quick interview as to why I listen to and support the Classic Radio Station, AllClassical FM in Portland.  As I talked with Amy, from the station, we talked about my favorite composer, Aaron Copeland; and how his music impacted me. 
It looks like I will be interviewed by my favorite host, Christa.  Looking forward to it.
Thus begins this day’s comments.
“Were you there when they crucified my Lord?” a very poignant song about the crucifixion of Christ based on the legend of one of the Roman soldiers that WAS there, carried the robe away and was so troubled in his mind that he would ask that question.  The book ‘The Robe’ seems to be based on that legend.  (A lot of the theology isn’t biblical, but the story is still good.)
The soldier would ask that question and then, realizing they couldn’t have been there, would say, no, you couldn’t have been, could you?
Were you there when they crucified my Lord?
Oh sometimes it causes me to tremble, tremble, tremble, tremble.
Were you there when they crucified my Lord?
It brings to mind an early Television Program hosted by Walter Cronkite “You are there.”
The theme composition for the program was written by Copeland, “Fanfare for the common man!”  It is a powerful piece of music and I think of that program every time I hear it – and I could listen to it all day long.
Each week Cronkite would have reporters at the scene of an historical event, reporting back to him – live; they would do interviews just like it would be done in the 1950’s.  The main character would give his statements and the reporter would describe what was going on and also interviewed others.
It could be very poignant; I remember the ones on Socrates and Joan of Arc in particular.  As a young boy, watching at his grandmother’s house, it felt real – even though I knew it was a play.
Cronkite would close the show with these words:
"What sort of day was it? A day like all days, filled with those events that alter and illuminate our times... all things are as they were then.....and you were there."  Walter Cronkite
I remember the day I accepted Christ, like it was yesterday.
For the first time, I went to the high school/college age service which was conducted just before the regular evening service.  Pud Earp was giving his last class on the book of Revelations.  One of his statements was something like:  “I would go home after services, knowing that I wasn’t saved and tremble in my bed; before I accepted Christ.”
I don’t remember what the sermon was, but the two services (along with the Holy Spirit) convinced me that I needed salvation.  I needed to go to the altar and confess my sins and ask God’s forgiveness through the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
That night, I was there when they crucified my Lord.
It had begun as a day like all days, filled with ordinary things done on an ordinary, for me, Sunday.  Large lunch, etc.  But that night it was filled with an event that altered and illuminated my life.....and all things were as they were when Christ was crucified – and I was there.
Galatians 2:20  I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
I am also crucified with Christ, and He lives within me.
God knew me from the day I was conceived.  He was, is and always will be with me.  Even before I accepted His Son, He had His hand on my life.  But, that one day, the most important day of my life, I was there when they crucified my Lord.
And I will always praise Him.
Psalm 139:12-14 Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee.
13 For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb.
14 I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.

Later, Art (-:

No comments:

Post a Comment