Thursday, October 1, 2015

The produce from the garden is coming to an end.  Carla and Teresa will be harvesting and using green tomatoes as well as the ripened ones, in different recipes and canning them for the winter – you are welcome to join them.
Most of our hummingbirds have migrated out of the area, we have just those few that remain with us through the winter months.  Our feeding is going from a quart plus every day, to every couple or three days.
We will need to begin winterizing the property and prepare for winter – she will be here before long.
Ephesians 4:4-7   There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;
5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,
6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.
7 But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ.

“All-American Jesus”
When you read that title, what came to your mind?
What was the first thing?
The title was given to a posting by Nate Pyle and he is talking about the American athletes’ testimony of their life in Christ; the high level we place them on, but ultimately the life of any Christian man and how our testimony is just as important.
The full article is here:  http://media.harpercollinschristian.com/page/all-american-jesus
What came to me, though, as I read that title had nothing to do with athletes, I got to thinking that I have a singular focus - a focus that somehow American Christians are better than other Christians around the world.
Then, again without yet reading the article – how arrogant I am and this author must be to think that America has a unique and ‘inspired’ view of who Jesus is – and ours is the most appropriate.
I was embarrassed that the first thing that came to mind was someone was saying just that, that the American view of Jesus is better than the rest of the world’s Christian view and life in Jesus.   
Partly because it shocked me to think anyone would label Jesus as American and then that I realized that I DO often thing we have that special relationship with Him that no other country’s Christians have; I have placed American Christians, somehow, above others; and that is so wrong.
That was my first thought – can’t help it, but by being honest to myself it is the only way I can allow the Holy Spirit to change and work within me.
It was much like the time I was teaching an adult Sunday School Class in the Sanctuary of our church.  I can’t remember why, but the Pastor decided to have me go to a classroom. 
I felt demoted, I felt like I had been relegated to a lower position, even though I had the largest class in the church I didn’t seem to be appreciated.  I was teaching in the sanctuary, a place of honor and recognition of my talents.
I admit that was arrogant of me and that it was foolish – but that is how I felt and until I dealt with that feeling and accepted the fact that God was in direct control of my life, no matter what class or where I was assigned to teach, that I was at peace. 
I remember some time later talking with the Pastor about something and told him about that feeling, he was surprised – he hadn’t intended to ‘demote’ me.  He started to explain – not apologize by the way, and he had no reason to do so – I told him I was fine, I had dealt with that and was not upset, it was just my first reaction and I realized it was a wrong reaction. 
God deals with us, He deals with our self-worth as well as our opinion of others.   
America IS special.  Many of the first settlers came to America for religious reasons.  Our constitution finds its inspiration from the Bible; it also guarantees that we have the freedom to worship God as we choose.  Most of the signers were Christians, indeed, many were Pastors.  The walls of the buildings build for government purposes, until just recently, had Bible verses engraved on them. 
God has been extremely important in our American culture.  We see it in the many things God has done for us.
We are blessed with an abundance of natural resources that allow us to feed our people, but also people in other parts of the world.  We are leaders in the world in many areas. 
We have been the defenders of the oppressed giving our sons’ blood in the defense of tyranny.  We have stood up to the despots and if not alone, we were major players in pulling them down, often to protect others, but also to keep them from attacking us on our soil.
We have been leaders in industry and science.  We have opened our colleges to other countries so their young people can learn and take back to their homes new techniques and make their countries better.
Our businesses have provided a higher standard of living as citizens work for companies and are well-paid; or they are free to create and build their own companies to take care of their families.
Our churches are opened to any who wish to worship with us.
It is easy to see the blessings of God on our country and equate that with a special insight on who Christ is; and thus define Him as an American – even if we don’t really think about it or realize that we are doing so.
But, when that happens we are no different than those Jews, who had accepted Christ, striving to dictate how Gentile Christians should live because they had that special relationship with God through Abraham as they grew up following the commandments of God.
They needed to be brought up short and reminded that, now and forever, we are all children of God, first to them, yes, but also to the rest of us.  God now treats us all the same, either we are believers in Christ or we are not.
Either we accept Him as Savior or we do not.  Either we follow and obey Him, or we do not.  Either we recognize and preach that the ONLY way to heaven goes through Christ and that works will never be enough.
We do have to be extremely careful of allowing false teachings, of allowing those that will twist scriptures to meet their agendas to have any influence on our relationship with God.
We have the Holy Spirit to guide us and the Word to tell us and trusted and proven advisors to tell us what the truth is and what it is not.
There are many things that one denomination might do that another will not, but the basics are there for both and in that understanding we are one body. 
But that truth is not limited to America, it is true of every Christian no matter where they live.
Is America blessed?  Yes.
Is America a country that others can look up to and emulate their successes?  Yes.
Is America special?  Yes.
But, when we go before the judgement seat of God, He is not going to consider our nationality, our race, our denomination, our age, our lineage, our opinion as to our value, the world’s opinion of our value – He is only going to consider how we presented Christ to others.
God is not limited by borders of countries or anything else.  No Christian is better than another because they reside in one area or another.
We are one family.  We have been adopted, by God the Father, through Jesus Christ the Son, into the family of Abraham; and while we may differ on some things, we are still His.
So many of our brethren, around the world, are going through horrendous trials – how dare I think that I, as an American, is a better Christian than any of them. 
In truth, because they are being tried by the fires of satan and proven worthy of Christ, they are far better Christians than I.
Later, Art :-)
From the ColumbiaRiverGorgeous
May Our Good Lord Bless and Keep YOU....’til we meet again

No comments:

Post a Comment