Thursday, October 15, 2015

It is the middle of October already – we are two and a half months away from starting on the second half of this decade which is the second decade of the millennium 2000.
I still think I am in the 1990’s or even the 80’s when someone mentions a few years ago.  Time passes quickly, yet, we have today.
Which, by the way is a bit overcast and will be warmer; however, not to last.  Even Abby (one of our cats) is coming in from outside and finding some space to lay claim as hers; she rarely comes in, much preferring to be outside.
It is funny how she doesn’t like to be petted when inside the house, but when we go out to do something she makes a pest of herself to be petted.  She is Carla’s constant companion as she works in the garden.
Mathew 23:37-39 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!
38 Behold, your house is left unto you desolate.
39 For I say unto you, Ye shall not see me henceforth, till ye shall say, Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord.

how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!

Jesus proclaimed His divinity many times as He spoke both to the masses and to the leaders.  We find it in words such as these where He uses the same kind of language He used through the writers of Deuteronomy, and the Psalms as well as other books.
He was physically younger than the majority of the leaders of the Jews, yet, He spoke to them as a father would to a restless and disobedient child.  Because He IS God; He is more than just a prophet; He is more than just a teacher; He is more than ‘just’ the Son, HE IS GOD.
Even though He was chastising them for their wrong teaching; even though they wanted to dispose of Him and His claims, He still loved them.  He still felt, as a father feels, for a lost son, the pain of rejection and sorrow for the loss of His children.
He wanted to gather them under His wings even as they were plotting to kill Him.  He wanted to show them His love even as they rejected Him and His Word.
How many times have we seen someone, who has done wrong and been caught at it – maybe even someone has enacted their revenge against them – we have said, ‘serves him right?’
How often have we rejoiced when a person gets his due comeuppance for his words or deeds?
I have to admit, I feel that way, often.  Yet, as I was reading a devotional by R.C. Sproul this morning I realized that Jesus really was saddened by the rejection. 
These are the words of someone who genuinely cares.
NOT because of pride, but because the rejection meant they were doomed to hell.  Through the centuries He had sent prophets and other holy men and women to try and get them to change their ways.
He had disciplined them in order to make them understand what they were doing was wrong. 
I know the feeling about taking someone under your wings – every parent feels that way about their children – especially when they are going through difficult times and even more so if it is because someone is targeting them.
As a Police Officer I wanted to take the victims under my wings and protect them from the perpetrators.
You ache inside when you know that you cannot help, even though you want too.  It is bad enough when you can’t help because it is beyond your power, it is far worse when you can’t help because the person refuses your assistance.
Jesus was not taking joy in his condemnation, he was saddened and His heart was heavy because He knew what they were doing and He knew that they were not going to yield to God.
He was not condemning them so much out of anger – although there was that too at times – or even frustration because they wouldn’t listen to Him – but, because He loved these people.  He wanted what was best for them and what was best is that they listen to Him and obey.
Jesus loved them as a Father loves his wayward children and wants to bring them back into the fold where he can cover them with his wings.
I need to see as Christ saw, people lost.  Some are thinking that they are doing the right things, some are following a set tradition or discipline, a creed or doctrine and yet, they have forgotten – and maybe not even realized – the truth of who Jesus says He is; God.
They have added other ways that can help them get into heaven; they have added works as the way to earn their way to heaven; they have honestly strived to do what is right, yet, they fail because of their disbelief in who Jesus is.
But not just these people, those that are criminals.  Those whom I would protect the victims from, those that are doing their best to destroy the Word of God and those that proclaim it.
These are people who Jesus looks at as lost and in need of His delivery from their sins.
As I read of the many martyrs through the ages, as I read of men and women in our time who are going through painful persecution and yet, they pray for their oppressors, I realize that they see these people as God sees them, lost and in need of the Love and Salvation only Christ gives.
Mathew 5:43-45 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.
44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

I cannot do this on my own.  I cannot look at someone who is deliberately attacking me and say, ‘I forgive you’ by myself.
I have felt the darts, arrows and spears of those who have done what they can to dismantle me – nowhere near as bad as many, but it doesn’t matter, I still have undergone that feeling of anger and desire for revenge – or at least have taken satisfaction in watching them fall.
Some I have prayed for, many I have not.  I view(ed) them as satan sent to torment and discredit me, not as a person who needs the love of Jesus and the salvation He offers.
Yes, I have even undergone the darts of fellow Christians for one reason or another – some justified, many not – and I felt anger; without thinking that they may have been trying to sincerely call me back under the wings of Christ.  Or, that they need the love of Christ in their life.
We have soooooooooo much to learn; after 50 plus years, I find I still have sooooooo much to learn and many of the lessons have to be repeated.  And viewing sinners as lost and in need of Christ is one of the lessons I have to be reminded of all too often.
This morning it was a revelation, to me, to see how much farther I still must go in my service to Him.  It is a life long journey.
Later, Art :-)
From the ColumbiaRiverGorgeous
May Our Good Lord Bless and Keep YOU....’til we meet again

No comments:

Post a Comment