Friday, October 17, 2014

Carla’s deer are multiplying; we had six of them this morning.  I tried shooing them off, but they just looked at me with that who are you? look and meandered on through the garden.  We will have to put together a plan for next Spring, these gals (all does this morning) are getting braver and while not really hurting anything right now, we don’t want to encourage their behavior.
I spoke too soon about the fruit flies, this last bunch of pears was the catalyst they needed to invite themselves into the kitchen and wherever else they want to go.  Wish I had a dollar for each one; we would have a nice bit of change.
For those of you that know her, Karen, our former Pastor’s daughter, is getting married in April.  A beautiful woman with a serving spirit, with a mission to young collegiates at George Town University in Washington D.C., has been waiting a long time for the right man.  He is a widower with grown children, a respiratory therapist, a heart for God who writes worship choruses.  He wrote a love song, sang it to her then on one knee asked her to marry him.  Quite the romantic!!
I am happy for her.  She is a neat person and deserves the best! 
Galatians 5:13-14 For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.
14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

In my studies this morning I was reminded of the servant role every Christian is obligated to take on.
Mark 10:45 For even the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.
There are several symbols of Christianity that are readily recognized:  The Cross, the ischthus (fish symbol) and the dove. 
Author, Paul Estabrooks, proposes another that is poignant in representing our service to Him – the towel and bowl.
Jesus washed the feet of His disciples the night before He was crucified.  By that action, and His teaching, He demonstrated His expectation of His servants. 
We focus so much on praise, on worship, on the joy of our salvation we sometimes forget we also have an obligation to God to serve our fellow man.  In our service to them we serve Him.
Paul tells us to listen and to give honor to those God has placed over us in the Lord.  But He also tells us to help others in need and to be what I would call a big brother to some of our family that need guidance.  There are many other verses, as we know, that tell us the same thing. 
1 Thessalonians 5:12-15   And we beseech you, brethren, to know them which labour among you, and are over you in the Lord, and admonish you;
13 And to esteem them very highly in love for their work's sake. And be at peace among yourselves.
14 Now we exhort you, brethren, warn them that are unruly, comfort the feebleminded, support the weak, be patient toward all men.
15 See that none render evil for evil unto any man; but ever follow that which is good, both among yourselves, and to all men.
I often read these verses and I find myself falling so far short of what I should be in Christ.  Right now I am frustrated from the physical conditions that limit my ability to be consistent in service.  I don’t want to promise something and then have to, once again, renege on my commitment.
The healing process is working, but it is taking much longer than anticipated and, as I indicated before, we may have to undergo another surgery to attempt to alleviate, or at least minimize some of the problem.
But it doesn’t limit my prayer and study time, so while my ‘service’ is mainly self-serving, I believe I am still doing something.
What pains me though is when I was more physically able I didn’t take seriously, enough, the admonition to serve.   For some reason is seems that service to others was far down on my “to do list.”  I did volunteer, I was active in the church, I spent many hours in service as a law enforcement officer, but I could have been more efficient and focused on actually serving my fellow man – in Christ.  
One of those ways would have been to have a better prayer life.  I can remember one man, who was in a position of responsibility, telling me that he felt very inadequate for his position and had to pray every day for guidance. 
I am ashamed to admit this, but I was surprised and wondered about his comments – I did tell him I felt he was doing a good job from what I could see, but it wasn’t a strong statement.  Instead of listening to his commitment to the job and desire to do his best – asking God to help him, I just wondered about his confidence.  I wasn’t doing the same thing and I should have been. 
Every day we have an opportunity to be of service to God.  He expects us to be of service to Him, by being of service to others.  If we start out each day by asking Him to show us how we can serve Him – and then listening to Him, we will have many opportunities to do just that.
The service to Him may not be one we ourselves would choose, but our ego and self-worth is not what is important, service to Him is what matters.
Later, Art :-)
From the ColumbiaRiverGorgeous
May Our Good Lord Bless and Keep YOU....’til we meet again

No comments:

Post a Comment