Tuesday, May 9, 2017

I am deeply saddened and very concerned this morning.  The past two days I have watched news casts that make me wonder where we are really heading in teaching our children the realities of life.  It brings tears to my heart and eyes.
The first one was on the decision by a school district in Washington not to allow their band to travel to Victoria B.C.
The reason given was it wasn’t equitable to their students.  They may have some ‘undocumented’ illegal students “that might not be allowed to cross into Canada and they sure wouldn’t be allowed back into the States.”
So, a tradition of at least 20 years must be scrapped and those students who live in our country legally must set aside their dreams so someone else who is in this country illegally can feel better. 
Probably 90+ percent of the students that are illegal were brought over by their parents, and while I understand it isn’t their fault, neither is it the fault of the students that have looked forward to a special trip to be deprived of that experience.
And of course it isn’t just the fact they can’t go, it is the message that is being sent.
To me the message is:  “So, if I do something illegal, then I don’t have to worry, because I am going to be excused and I am going to be protected by authorities from the repercussions of those acts?” 
Yes, there are those that are applauding that decision. 
Now, we all are upset with the division in our country, the hate that is being spewed by both sides of the division. 
But, how is this going to make those feel that are being kept from ‘their’ enjoyment?  What makes these people think that there isn’t going to be resentment and repercussions in the future from that decision?
It is fuel for the fire.  And there isn’t anything to use to put it out because reasoning has gone out the window.  It will be left up the law enforcement to deal with these repercussions; and, of course, they are going to be chastised for doing their job.
Which brings me to the second news cast.
The second news cast was this morning; I watched a local news cast on a high school where the students don’t want police officers to come to their school any longer.  They feel “uncomfortable.”
When I worked for the City, I spent a lot of time in the schools, both on duty and off-duty.  I spoke with dozens if not hundreds of classes and students through the years.  I sat down and ate lunch with them, walked the halls and talked with them.
Were some of them uncomfortable, undoubtedly, but the reason I did this was to let them know Police Officers ARE their friends and can be counted on to help them in their distress.
Through the years I have had many of them tell me how much they appreciated my service.  They introduce me to their spouses and children as a friend.
When I was Sheriff we brought in the “DARE” program.  A deputy went into the schools and taught the dangers of drugs and the ways to avoid them – among other lessons.  He interacted and became friends with most of them.  He helped more than one deal with a home environment that was toxic.
He made lifelong friends with many of them.
My son was a Police Resource officer in his schools for several years.  I had the opportunity to visit the high school with him and saw the interaction and the respect that was given him by both students and teachers.
I know of one occasion that stands out to him.  He had several years of contact with one young lady who came to know him as a standup guy and someone she could trust to help her – she was a victim of incest and had been going through it for years. 
There were others, but this is one that showed him the value of his years of service to the schools.  Who knows what would have happened to that young lady had she continued to bury her fear and assaults because of that positive action she was taken out of that environment and given a chance to live life without fear or self-degradation.
He taught a class on leadership and took those students to state wide conferences. 
School Resource Officers are chosen because they can relate with the kids, because they have the personalities and ability to work with them and become a resource to them.
It is time the adults in this country start standing up and saying, “Enough is enough.  If you feel ‘uncomfortable’ that is not a bad thing.  If you can’t understand that this society does have rules and laws, you NEED to understand that before you get in trouble; and we aren’t going to let you duck behind, “I feel uncomfortable,” reason.
If you can’t interact with Police officers in this kind of environment, what are you going to do when real life hits you in the face and you have to deal with them in times of stress?
AND those times are coming!  Especially for those that think they can cry and get their way.
Like most Police Officers, Law Enforcement was my life work.  This was my ministry in life.  It wasn’t just enforcing the laws - making arrests, issuing tickets - but making our community safer and helping those in need.
The kids in our society NEED that positive interaction with Police Officers. 
They NEED to see they are human beings and sincerely care for their well-being.
Are we all perfect?  No.
Are those that are good officers perfect all the time?  No.
But the vast majorities take their job very seriously and are willing to lay down their lives to protect others – even those that feel “uncomfortable” around them.
There should be MORE, not less, officers in the schools of our communities.  That interaction is in the top five of the most important duties an officer has, interacting with the kids and the public in general.  Making contacts that will help those kids now and in the future is extremely important.
This is heart breaking and very discouraging to me.  
I fear for these kids, who are they going to turn to when they find out that they need help and that will not come from any other source than the police?
----------------------------
“None of us can approach a serious study and consideration of the eternal nature and person of Jesus Christ without sensing and confessing our complete inadequacy in the face of the divine revelation.”  AW Tozer
2 Corinthians 3:5 Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God;”  KJV
It is times like these that I rely on these kinds of scriptures.
Comforting, reminding me that I am not alone, and no matter what I am feeling and going through God is going through it with me.
I take far too much on me and forget that God wants to take over for me – it is so hard to remember, and even once reminded, to let go and allow Him to carry me through.
But, that is on me, not on Him. 
I thank Him for His mercy and His love and that once I do release myself to Him, He helps me through it.
Lord, I so need to learn this lesson, and not go through minutes, hours, days, weeks, months and even years of frustrations that could have been rectified if I had let you do it.
Later, Art (-:

No comments:

Post a Comment