Saturday, June 28, 2014

Trials

1 Corinthians 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.
Acts 20:24  But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God.
This morning I awoke with that verse from 1 Corinthians in my mind.  As I meditated on it I realized why Paul was able to endure so much.  I realized why some Christians seem to go through far more than others; some of us seem to squeak by with little trials, and think we are suffering greatly, while others go through tremendous pain – yet, they remain true to God.  They testify of His Great Love and Grace; they proclaim His healing powers even as they themselves suffer greatly.  They have great joy despite their suffering.
The temptation, for many, would be to condemn God for allowing them to suffer so much.  Yet, they have an inner peace and joy that cannot be explained by the knowledge or wisdom of the world.  Many are under great persecution, they watch their families suffer, they watch friends and colleagues suffer, they lose their freedom and are imprisoned, beaten and prosecuted for their stand for Christ.  Others are suffering from medical problems, pain from illness and/or depilating injuries caused by accidents that should make their existence miserable.
They may question, ‘why me Lord?’  Yet, they grow in His Spirit and they are a testimony to His strength and redemption.  They are an example to us of God’s ability to lift man’s spirits even in the worst of conditions.  These people, most humble and would never think this, have great faith – they are able to endure far more than the rest of us, because God knows they can handle it.
Not in every situation are they being tested by God, but they have developed such a close relationship with Him, for the most part, it just doesn’t matter to them.  That is how Paul was able to endure so much, which is why we are told in:
Philippians 1:20 According to my earnest expectation and my hope, that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but that with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ shall be magnified in my body, whether it be by life, or by death.
They see Christ glorified within themselves and their relationship with Christ makes all the difference.  Their amazing testimony often leads others to come to the cross to receive what they have received.  They rejoice that no matter their circumstances they are serving Christ.
Acts 5:40-42   And to him they agreed: and when they had called the apostles, and beaten them, they commanded that they should not speak in the name of Jesus, and let them go.
41 And they departed from the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer shame for his name.
42 And daily in the temple, and in every house, they ceased not to teach and preach Jesus Christ.

When we go through trials for Christ, may we take this same attitude – rejoicing that God feels we are worthy to suffer for Him; that He feels we can handle the temptations before us and know that we can depend on Him if it is more than we think we can bare, He will lead us out.  It is an affirmation that our faith in Him grows and His faith in us does also.  Maybe one day I can truly say that I can give meaningful thanks in all things!
From the ColumbiaRiverGorgeous

No comments:

Post a Comment